[ Back to home ]
City Of Bayswater

Access and Inclusion (Disability)

DAIP 2016-2020

The City undertook a review of its Disability Access and Inclusion Plan (DAIP), 2011 - 2015 to improve the inclusiveness and accessibility of everything the City of Bayswater provides for the community, residents and visitors alike. Recent amendments (in 2004) to the WA Disability Services Act (1993) require all State and Local Government to have a DAIP.

A robust consultation was held over a 12 month period, and we are proud to launch our new DAIP 2016-2020 accessible via PDF and word format:

DAIP 2016-2020 (pdf)

DAIP 2016-2020(word)

For more information on the new DAIP, please contact the Community Development team on 9272 0658 or via email at inclusion@bayswater.wa.gov.au  ​

Have Your Say

If you would like to inform Council about an access issue, please complete the Pamphlet – Creating Accessible Communities: on line or pick up a pamphlet at one of the City’s libraries, The RISE, Galleria Office or at a Senior Citizens Centre. 

For more information please contact the City’s Senior Community Development Officer on telephone: 9270 4107 or email inclusion@bayswater.wa.gov.au .

For more information on inclusive events and programs, please visit the events area of the website


BrowseAloud is a service designed to increase Website Accessibility and Digital Inclusion. It is a speech enabling service that delivers the website content to residents, customers, visitors and others in need of assistive technology. BrowseAloud does this by highlighting the content of the website, and then highlighting the word as it is read aloud. It is unique in its delivery, in that all technology is provided free to the website visitor, with the cost covered by the website owner.

Visitors can listen to this website with BrowseAloud, which is free to website visitors and can be easily downloaded from the BrowseAloud Website.

More information for people with disabilities is available from the following websites:

  • Disability Services Commission 

The Commission provides a range of direct services and support and also funds non-government agencies to provide services to people with disabilities.


  • National Disability Services (NDS)

Through the provision of information, representation and policy advice, NDS promotes and advances services which support people with all forms of disability to participate in all domains of life.


  • You’re Welcome - Guide to Accessible Places

If you would like to find out detailed information about accessible community facilities and businesses in WA, visit the Disability Services Commission's You're Welcome Access website. The website lists update information about more than 3,300 accessible places including accommodation, parking, toilets, change rooms, tourist attractions, food and dining, parks and playgrounds, cinemas, libraries and shops.

Visit www.accesswa.com.au for information  

  • Independent Living Centre

The Independent Living Centre's mission is to provide independent information and enable informed choices for independent living. http://www.ilc.com.au/

  • Association for the Blind 

The Association provides services to people with blindness and vision impairment living in WA.


  • National Companion Card

The Companion Card was developed to remove the financial barrier for people with disability who require lifelong attendant care support to participate at events, activities and venues. http://www.companioncard.gov.au/

  • National Relay Service 

A phone service for people who are deaf or have a speech or hearing impediment. 


  • National Public Toilet map

The National Public Toilet Map (the Toilet Map) shows the location of more than 14,000 public and private public toilet facilities across Australia. Details of toilet facilities can also be found along major travel routes and for shorter journeys as well. Useful information is provided about each toilet, such as location, opening hours, availability of baby change rooms, accessibility for people with disabilities and the details of other nearby toilets.


  • Inclusion WA

Inclusion WA is a dynamic organisation dedicated to enriching the lives of all people who may be disadvantaged, disconnected from society or living with a disability through facilitating inclusion in sport, recreation and community life.


  • Therapy Focus

Therapy Focus is Western Australia's largest provider of therapy and support services to children and young peoplewith a disability or learning disadvantage.


  • Translating and Interpreting Service

The Australian Government, through Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) National, provides free interpreting services to non-English speaking Australian citizens and permanent residents communicating with local government authorities on issues such as rates, garbage collection and urban services. There is also a free document translation service through TIS National, for people settling permanently in Australia. Check out the TIS website at:


  • Communication

People with a permanent and long term disability who find it difficult to communicate through speech maybe eligible for funding of a communication device through the Community Aids and Equipment Program (CAEP). CAEP will loan devices with voice output to eligible individuals for as long as they are needed,

For details visit www.disability.wa.gov.au or call 8426 9200

  • Noahs Ark WA Inc

Helping children learn through play

Noah's Ark library and services are available for children and young adults with special needs and are located at 5a Bookham Street, Morley. The library opens on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9.30am to 1.30pm, and on Saturdays from 9am to 12noon. The mobile library service visits outer metropolitan areas and country towns within a 350km radius of Perth.

Please visit www.noahsarkwa.org.au or contact 9328 1598 or email enquiries@noahsarkwa.org.au  

  • Parking

If you have a temporary or permanent disability, you can apply for an ACROD parking permit.This is a permit that allows you to access designated parking bays. To be eligible for a permit, you must:

-  have a sever mobility impairment, where walking more than 50 metres causes the physical condition to deteriorate; and/or 
-  require the use of a mobility/medical aid (eg wheelchair, crutches, walking frame or oxygen), which necessitates a wide bay for ease in an out of a vehicle.

For more information about ACROD parking, viist www.app.org.au

©Copyright 2017. City of Bayswater. All rights reserved.
Website by IBC Digital / Powered by Verdi CMS