[ Back to home ]
City Of Bayswater


Your rates contribute towards the many public works projects undertaken by the City of Bayswater.  As well as the upkeep and maintenance of the City’s investment in infrastructure such as roads, paths, parks and sports grounds, your rates also help fund the many community services the City provides, such as recreational facilities, meals on wheels, aged care facilities, libraries, arts and events programs, and the City’s security service.

A list of ‘frequently asked questions’ related to Rates are below.  For more information please contact the City’s Rating Services on 9272 0922.



Register for eRates!

Would you like to receive your rates notice by email?

Simply click on the link below and follow the prompts.


Please note that this option applies to the annual rates notice and instalment reminders only. Interim rate notices will continue to be sent by post.

To update your eRates registration details please complete the registration process again. The new registration will overwrite the existing details.

By registering for eRates, you have agreed to the terms and conditions of eRates..  

Rates Prize Incentive Draw

Pay your rates and charges in full by 3 August 2016 to be eligible to enter the City of Bayswater annual rates incentive prize draw.  

38 fantastic prizes are to be won including a new Holden Spark, two holidays each valued at $2,500, performing arts tickets, gym memberships and various cash prizes. Good luck! 

- Budget Bulletin
- Baywater Waves & The RISE Brochure
- Avon Descent Brochure

Payment Options

Under the Local Government Act 1995 Council is obliged to offer ratepayers the option of paying rates by four instalments. All ratepayers are offered three payment options.

Option One - Payment in full by 17 August 2016 

• No additional charges incurred

Option Two - Payment by two instalments

• First payment due 17 August 2016
• Final payment due 17 October 2016 
• $5.00 Administration Charge
• 5.5% interest on instalment

Option Three - Payment by four instalments

• First payment due 17 August 2016
• Second payment due 17 October 2016
• Third payment due 19 December 2016
• Final payment due 20 February 2017
• $15.00 Administration Charge
• 5.5% interest on instalments

The due date for payment is 17 August 2016.  This is also the due date for the first payment of Options Two and Three, and for payment in full.  The administration charge and interest on instalments for Options Two and Three have been included into each instalment amount.  Eligible pensioners and seniors are exempt from administration fees and penalty interest charges. 

How to Pay your Rates

Rate payments can be made in the following ways: 

  • Credit Card (MasterCard and Visa) - pay online at bayswater.wa.gov.au or call 1300 207 811 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. *
  • Direct Debit - pay automatically from your financial institution. Download the request form at bayswater.wa.gov.au or call 9272 0922 to apply.
  • BPay - contact your participating financial institution to arrange payment from your bank account. Biller Code: 2667. Quote your payment reference number as shown on the rate notice.*
  • Mail the payment slip from the rate notice with your cheque to: City of Bayswater PO Box 467 Morley 6943
  • Australia Post pay in person at any Post Office by cash, cheque, debit card, MasterCard or Visa. . 
  • Pay by cash, cheque, debit card, MasterCard or Visa at:
    City of Bayswater Civic Centre, 61 Broun Avenue, Morley (Mon - Fri 8.30 am - 4.30 pm)
    Max Tulley Information Office, Centro Galleria, Morley (Mon - Fri 9 am - 4.30 pm)
    The RISE One Stop Shop, 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands (Mon - Fri 10 am - 2 pm).
  • A surcharge of 0.4% will apply to credit card payments made by Mastercard or Visa

*The maximum payment accepted is $100,000.

Alternative Payment Arrangements 

If you are unable to make their first payment by the due date please contact Council’s Rating Services Department in order to make an alternative payment arrangement. 

Ratepayers wishing to enter into a payment arrangement are encouraged to complete a direct debit form and submit to Council.

Direct debit form

Please note a direct debit set up fee of $22.00 will be charged to the rates account and penalty interest will continue to accrue @ 11% pa, calculated daily, until the outstanding amount is paid in full.  Eligible registered pensioners and seniors are exempt from these charges.

All payment arrangements will be subject to approval by Council.  Written notification will be issued once the payment arrangement has been accepted.

Interest on Overdue Amounts

Council has resolved for the 2016/2017 year to charge a daily interest rate of 11% pa calculated daily on outstanding rates, commencing 1 September 2016.  Penalty interest will not be charged on current and deferred rates of eligible pensioners and seniors.

Ratepayers who have elected to pay by Options Two and Three are also exempt from penalty interest providing that all instalment payments are made by the due dates being 17 October 2016 and 19 December 2016 and 20 February 2017.

Pensioner / Senior Concessions

Eligibility provisions for any person seeking to register with Council for rate concessions are:

• Must be the owner AND occupier of rateable property at 1 JULY or earlier, and
• If a Pensioner, either:
   - Must be the holder of a current Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card, or
   - Hold both a WA Seniors Card issued by the Department for Communities AND a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card; or
Pensioners who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 50% (subject to capping).
• If a Senior, holds a WA Seniors Card issued by the Department for Communities.  Seniors who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 25% (subject to capping).  The option of deferment is not available.

A pro-rata rebate may be available from the date of registration to Pensioners and Seniors who become eligible after 1 July.

Pensioner and senior card holders can lodge an application with the Water Corporation at watercorporation.com.au or by telephone on 13 13 85.  A copy of the completed application will be forwarded to Council and processed accordingly.

Important notes about pensioner/senior concessions

Pensioner/senior concession applies only to rates and the emergency services levy.  Rubbish charges and other levies must be paid in full by the due date.

You are required to notify Council if you cease to be an entitled pensioner or senior.  Any person who remains registered as an entitled pensioner or senior knowing that they are no longer qualified to be registered commits an offence, which carries a penalty of $1,000.

Changes in circumstances which may affect your entitlement to rate concessions are:

• If the ownership on the Certificate of Title for your property has been amended or additional owners’ names, added. In this case, you are required to provide a copy of the current Certificate of Title.
• A person with whom you share ownership deceases.
• Your pension type has changed.
• You sell the property (you need to re-register for any new property you may purchase).
• You move to another address.
• You no longer occupy the property for reasons of ill health or frailty.
• Your Pensioner Concession Card, State Concession Card, WA Seniors Card or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is cancelled.

For further information regarding pensioner concessions please contact Council’s Rating Services on 9272 0922.

Change of postal address details

There is an obligation on property owners to ensure that Council has the correct address for service of notices.   To advise Council of your change of postal address details, please complete the following form and submit to Council.

Change of  Address Form

Change of property ownership

Under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1995, when a person (whether as principal or agent) sells or disposes of land, the owner/agent must advise Council in writing within 21 days of the change of ownership, giving full details of the purchaser.

Copy of a Rate Notice

Original rate notices are important documents and should be retained for property ownership identification purposes. The issue of a copy of the current and/or previous year’s rate notice will incur a $20.00 administration fee per notice.


How are my rates calculated?
Rates are calculated by multiplying a property’s Gross Rental Value (GRV) by the rate in the dollar set by Council.  The 2016/2017 rate in the dollar is 0.05116.  Gross Rental Value (GRV) is the fair rental value of the property as determined by the Valuer General’s Office and is an estimate of 12 months potential rental income.

Each year Council also sets a minimum charge based on the basic services provided by Council.  If the calculation of the GRV by the rate in the dollar results in an amount less than the minimum charge, then the minimum charge of $821.00 will be raised.

Can I object to my property's valuation?
If you feel that the valuation applied to your property is incorrect, a written objection can be lodged with the Valuer General’s Office within 60 days of the date of issue of the rate notice.  For further information please contact the Valuer General’s Office on 9273 7341, vs@landgate.wa.gov.au.

Do I pay GST on my rates notice?
GST is not payable on general rates, the emergency services levy, rubbish charges or swimming pool / outdoor spa inspection fee. 

Interim Rates

Council may be required to issue interim rates during the course of the financial year.

The reasons for this may include subdivision of land, amalgamation of land, a review of the valuation, completion of new building, additions to existing buildings or demolition of improvements. When a new valuation is received from The Valuer General, Council is required to reassess the rates levied for the current year and issue an interim rate notice.

Other Charges

The sanitation charge includes: a 240 litre bin collected weekly; a 240 litre yellow lid re-cycling bin and a 240 litre green waste bin collected fortnightly; and three bulk bins or three tip passes annually. The sanitation charges are based on the cost to Council of employing private contractors to collect refuse.

2016/2017 Annual Rubbish Bin Charges
Domestic Service $331.13
Commercial/Industrial Service $331.13

2015/2016 Additional Rubbish Bin Charges
Additional Domestic Service $159.24
Additional Recycling Service $79.20
Additional Green Waste Service $39.34
Additional Commercial Service $159.24
Additional Commercial Recycling Service $79.20
Additional Commercial Green Waste Service $39.34

2016/2017 Swimming Pool / Outdoor Spa Inspection Fee
Swimming Pool Levy $14.00

State Government legislation requires Council to conduct inspections of all private swimming pools and outdoor spa bath enclosures every four years.

The inspection fee for this service will be charged at $14.00 per annum for each registered pool enclosure.  This annual fee is designed to recover the cost of all inspections over a four year cycle.

©Copyright 2017. City of Bayswater. All rights reserved.
Website by IBC Digital / Powered by Verdi CMS