Swan and Helena Rivers Management Framework
The Swan and Helena Rivers Management Framework (SHRMF) was completed in 2007 with support from the Departments of Planning and Transport (previously the Department for Planning and Infrastructure) and the Swan River Trust. The SHRMF provides a vision for the future protection and development of the Swan and Helena Rivers as regional assets and identifies nodes, forms of development and strategies to contribute to achieving the vision.
The SHRMF was endorsed by the Cities of Bayswater, Belmont and Swan, Town of Bassendean and the EMRC in 2007. The framework outlines objectives to:
• Achieve social benefits.
• Protect environmental values.
• Enhance cultural and natural heritage.
• Promote sensitive design and development.
• Integrate planning and management.
Since development and endorsement of the SHRMF, a number of high-priority regional projects have been completed. These include:
• Perth’s Eastern Region Swan River Trails Project (2008).
• SHRMF Heritage Audit and Statement of Significance (2009).
• Swan and Helena Rivers Regional Recreational Path Development Plan (2009).
• Best Management Practices for Shore Stabilisation – Approaches and Decision Support Framework (2009) (led by the Swan River Trust).
• Best Management Practices for Shore Stabilisation – Concept Designs for Shore; a Stabilisation at selected sites in the City of Bayswater (2009) (led by the Swan River Trust).