- The 2023 Community Art Award Exhibition will take place at The RISE, located at 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands.
- Accepted submissions will be charged an entry fee of $30 per artist, or $13 for artists under the age of 18 (as of 4 November 2023).
- Payment of the entry fee must be made by 4pm, Friday 27 October for the artwork to be exhibited.
- A digital catalogue will be produced to accompany the exhibition. All information will be published as provided in the entry form. Ensure all information including the artist name, artwork title, artwork price and artist statement are all correct upon submitting your entry.
- The 2023 curator is local business owner from Studio 281 Picture Framer and Art Gallery, Leo Flavel.
- 2023 Judges:
Mark Parfitt – Major Lead Fine Art , Curtin University.
Denise Pepper – Established local artist.
Rohin Kicket – Established Indigenous artist.
- Entries open Monday 4 September 2023 entries close 4pm, Friday 6 October 2023.
- The Art Awards opening night will take place on Friday 3 November from 6.30 to 9pm. If your art has been accepted into the exhibition you will receive an invitation to attend the awards with a plus one guest. Due to venue capacity, further guests may only be invited to attend the opening night after the 8pm.
- The exhibition will be open to the public from Sunday 5 November until Saturday 18 November.
- Notification of successful and unsuccessful entries will be by Friday 13 October via email. Ensure to check your junk email for notification.
- Accepted artists must make payment by 4pm, 27 October.
- Artwork drop off: Tuesday 31 October between 3 and 8pm
- Artwork collection: Sunday 19 November between 1 and 5pm or Monday 20 November between 9 and 11am.
- Entry forms must be received by 4pm, Friday 6 October 2023. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Details on the entry forms will not be altered once received.
- Accepted submissions will be charged a fee of $30 per artist, or $13 for artists under the age of 18 (age as of 4 November 2023).
- Payment of the entry fee will be required to be paid by 4pm, Friday 27 October 2023 for the artwork to be exhibited.
- Maximum of one entry per person.
- Entries will be accepted online at bayswater.wa.gov.au or by submission of the completed entry form.
- A high resolution image of the completed artwork, between 1 and 5MB is required with your submission. Please remember to label your image with your name and title of the artwork as you would like it to appear and upload the correct way up.
- A brief statement by the artist about their practice or artwork, to be no more than 75 words The statement is optional, however is highly recommended.
- The curator will make a selection of works for the exhibition. If your work is not selected, you will be advised within 10 days of the entry closing date.
- There will be no correspondence entered into regarding rejection of entry. The curator’s decision is final.
- Individual feedback cannot be provided.
- Works will be assessed by quality, saleability, diversity of styles, diversity across categories.
- The City of Bayswater reserves the right to refuse any entries that are deemed unsuitable for public exhibition.
- Winners will be invited to make a 15-minute guest appearance at one of our Curated Exhibition Art Tours either on Sunday 5 November at 11.45am or Thursday 9 November at 5.45pm.
SALES AND GST
- All sale prices must include a 15% commission fee (no commission on sales for youth entries – under the age of 18)
- All entries must be for sale and entrants must indicate ABN and GST details on the entry form where appropriate.
- All equipment required by the artist to display the artwork must be included in the sale.
- Artists who do not have an ABN must sign the statement of the entry form or 48.5% PAYG tax will be deducted from any payment to be made.
- Maximum one entry per artist.
- All works entered must be less than 12 months old from closing date, the original work of the artist and NOT previously exhibited or produced (including entries into the Photography category).
- All artworks must be a single item (no diptych, triptych works)
- Entries shall be presented to exhibition standard. They MUST be dry.
- All works are to have a suitable hanging assembly. D-latches and cord are the preferred method.
- 2D works must not exceed 1.3m x 1.3m in any direction including frame. All 2D works must not weigh more than 10kg.
- 3D artwork must be a maximum of 20kg and must not exceed 40cm deep (front to back), 60cm high (top to bottom) and 1m wide (left to right).
- The City of Bayswater, whilst talking good care, will not take responsibility for the damage or loss of artworks. It is the responsibility of the artist to provide insurance for their works.
- Artworks must be culturally sensitive, appropriate and authentic and will be assessed for potential cultural appropriation by the curator.
- Incorrect entries or failure to comply with conditions of entry will result in disqualification.
- The artist agrees that the City of Bayswater reserves the right to reproduce work (in part or whole) in print, film or digital format for promotion, education and documentation in association with the City of Bayswater and the exhibition.
- Failure to comply with the conditions of entry will result in the entrant forfeiting their right to enter the competition.
- Entrants cannot be awarded the City of Bayswater Open Award (Acquisitive) and Whadjuk Award (Acquisitive) prizes in two consecutive years however, can be placed in any other category.
- By submitting an entry into the art awards the artist is agreeing to all terms and conditions outlined by the City of Bayswater.
CATEGORIES AND PRIZES
- Open Award (Acquisitive): $5,000
- Whadjuk Award (Acquisitive): $5,000
- Bendigo Bank Bayswater People’s Choice Award: $750
- Highly Commended (x2): $750 and $300 Studio 281 Framing Voucher
- Morley Camera House Photography Award: $750
- Sculpture Award: $750
- COB Resident Award: $500
- Ellis House Member Award: $500
- High School Award: Framing voucher and art supply prize pack (supplied by Art & Craft World Morley)
- Primary School Award: Art supply prize pack (supplied by Art & Craft World Morley)
- All entries will be eligible to win the City of Bayswater Open Award (acquisitive) and the People’s Choice Award.
- The City of Bayswater Open Award and Whadjuk Award are acquisitive prizes and the winner’s artwork will become part of the City of Bayswater Art Collection.
- Bayswater residents accepted into the exhibition will be entered into the City of Bayswater Resident category.
- To be eligible for the Whadjuk Award the artist must personally identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person.
- Winning entries will be announced at the opening night, with the exception of the Bendigo Bank Bayswater People’s Choice Award, which will be announced within 1 week of the closing of the exhibition.
DELIVERY AND PICK UP DETAILS
- Entrants are to cover all delivery costs. No payment whatsoever will be made by the City of Bayswater for freight or other delivery charges incurred in the delivery or return of exhibits.
- All artworks are to be clearly labelled on the back of the artwork indicating artist name, title, medium, dimensions (in cm) and price.
- Entries shall be delivered to The RISE, 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands, on Tuesday 31 October between 3 and 8pm. Entries will not be accepted at any other time.
- Payments are not refundable if the artist does not deliver the artwork during the specified time.
- All entries are to be picked up on Sunday 19 November between 1 and 5pm or Monday 20 November between 9 and 11am. Identification will be required to pick up all entries. Work not picked up by this time will be acquired and disposed of at the discretion of the City of Bayswater.
- If you are unable to attend, please call the Events team to make alternative arrangements prior to this date. Written consent will be sought if the artist requires someone else to pick up the artwork on their behalf.
- All artists who sell artwork over the exhibition will be contacted directly prior to the pick-up date specified.
If you have any questions regarding the terms and conditions please contact the events team via email firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 9272 0974