Our annual Community Art Awards showcase the creative talent in the City of Bayswater and surrounding areas. The calibre of entries is outstanding, with more than 180 artworks entered in 2018.
Works are submitted in a variety of mediums, including oil, watercolour, acrylic, resin, printmaking, photography, and sculpture.The works are exhibited over several weeks and are available for purchase at the end of the exhibition.
If you would like to participate in the 2019 Community Art Awards, please complete the entry form below:
The City is currently seeking Expressions of Interest for a curator to facilitate the exhibition. If you are interested, please read the information below.
Request for Quotation to Provide Curatorial Services
2019 Community Art Awards key dates
Entries open: Friday 6 September 2019
Entries close: Friday 4 October 2019
Exhibition: Sunday 3 - Saturday 16 November 2019
For queries, please contact the City's Events team on (08) 9272 0622.
Cover image: 'FragSML' by Matt Wright - Winner of City of Bayswater Art Awards' Open Award 2018
Frequently Asked Questions
When do entries open?
The exhibition is held in November each year.
Exact dates will be released when entries open each year.
What is the closing date for entries?
Entries open on Friday 6 September 2019.
How do I enter?
Entries close on Friday 4 October 2019.
Is there a fee to enter?
To enter, you will need to:
What type of art can I submit?
Yes. The fee is $26.50 and is payable when you submit your entry form.
For entries from high school students, the fee is $12.50.
How many pieces of art can I submit?
It's up to you! We have previously accepted painting in oils, watercolours and acrylics, sculpture, drawing, mixed media, collages, resin art, photography, digital media, and printmaking - to name a few.
We accept all types of art as long as it is within the specifications listed on the entry form (which will be uploaded to this page on the day entries open ).
When can I deliver my artwork for the exhibition?
There is a limit of one piece of artwork per person. If your artwork is comprised of more than one element or piece, such as a sculpture that requires a stand (two pieces), this is acceptable and will count as one piece.
No diptych or triptych works will be accepted.
Is there a prize?
The date and time for delivery and collection of artworks will be published closer to the event.
Please note: artworks will be not be accepted prior to the published delivery date on this page, and must be collected at the end of the exhibition on the specified date and time.
Where is the exhibition held and how long does it go for?
There is over $10,000 worth of prize money to be awarded, in several categories:
- City of Bayswater Open Award - $5,000 (acquisitive)
- Highly Commended- $750 (3 x awards)
- Best City of Bayswater Primary School Entry (Years 1-6) - $500
- Best High School Entry (Years 7-12) - $500
- Best City of Bayswater High School Entry (Years 7-12) - $500
- Runner-up High School Entry (Years 7-12) - $250
- Best Sculpture Award - $500
- Best City of Bayswater Resident Award - $500
- Best Bayswater Art Society Member Award - $500
- Best Ellis House Member Award - $500.
- Best Photography Award - $500
Can I sell my artwork?
The exhibition is held at The RISE community centre at 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands, and runs for two to three weeks. Exhibition times will be published on this page closer to the date.
All entries must be for sale, as the City of Bayswater Open Award is an acquisitive prize and the winner’s artwork will become part of the City of Bayswater Art Collection.
All other artworks must be available for sale to the general public.
Please note: if you do not wish to sell your artwork, you will not be eligible to enter the Art Awards.
Terms and Conditions
Entry details Categories and prizes
- Entry forms and fees must be received by the closing date and time advertised. Late entries will not be accepted. Entry forms may be photocopied. Details on the entry forms will not be altered once received
- Maximum of one entry per person
- An entry fee of $26.50 applies. Cheques or money orders are to be made payable to the City of Bayswater
- Entries will be accepted online at www.bayswater.wa.gov.au or by submission of the completed entry form
- All entries will be judged. The judges decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into
- The judges will make a selection of works for the exhibition. If your work is not selected due to space restraints you will be advised and your entry fee will be refunded
- Failure to comply with the conditions of entry will result in the entrant forfeiting their entry fee.
Delivery and pick up details
- All entries will be eligible to win the City of Bayswater Open Award (acquisitive) and the Peoples Choice Award
- The City of Bayswater Open Award is an acquisitive prize and the winner’s artwork will become part of the City of Bayswater Art Collection
- Residents of the City of Bayswater will automatically be entered in the Best Bayswater Resident Award
- Winning entries will be announced on the opening night, with the exception of the Peoples Choice Award, which will be announced on the final day of the exhibition.
Sales and GST
- Entrants are to cover all delivery costs
- No payment whatsoever will be made by the City of Bayswater for freight or other delivery charges incurred in the delivery or return of exhibits
- All artworks are to be clearly labelled on the back of the artwork indicating artist name, title, medium, dimensions and price
- Entries must be delivered to The RISE, 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands
- All entries are to be picked up on the allocated day and time, which will be announced closer to the date. Identification will be required to pick up all entries. If you are unable to attend, please call the Events Team to make alternative arrangements prior to this date. Written consent will be sought if the Artist requires someone else to pick up the artwork on their behalf. Work not picked up by this time will be acquired and disposed of at the discretion of the City of Bayswater
- All artists who sell artwork during the exhibition will be contacted directly prior to the pick up date specified.
- All sale prices must include a 25% commission fee
- All entries must be for sale and entrants must indicate ABN and GST details on the entry form where appropriate
- Artists who do not have an ABN must sign the statement of the entry form or 48.5% PAYG tax will be deducted from any payment to be made.
- All works entered must be less than 12 months old from closing date, the original work of the artist and NOT previously exhibited
- All artworks must be a single item. (No diptych, triptych works)
- Entries shall be presented to exhibition standard - they MUST be dry
- All works are to have a suitable hanging assembly. D-latches and cord are the preferred method
- 2D Works must not exceed 1.2m x 1.2m in any direction including frame. All 2D works must not weigh more than 10kg
- 3D artwork must be a maximum of 20kg and must not exceed 40cm deep (front to back), 60cm high (top to bottom) and 1m wide (left to right)
- The City of Bayswater, whilst talking good care, will not take responsibility for the damage or loss of artworks. It is the responsibility of the artist to provide insurance for their works
- Incorrect entries or failure to comply with condition of entry will result in disqualification and loss of entry fees
- Entrants agree the organisers reserve the right to reproduce entries in print, film or digital format for promotion, education and documentation purposes in association with the City of Bayswater
- The Artist agrees the City of Bayswater reserves the right to reproduce work (in part or whole) in print, film or digital format for promotion, education and documentation in association with the exhibition
- Failure to meet any of these conditions will exclude you from exhibiting
- To be entered into the catalogue, entrants must provide an electronic photograph before the closing date
- Entrants cannot be awarded the City of Bayswater Open Award (acquisitive) prize in two consecutive years however, can be placed in any other category.