Rabbits,guinea pigs, Rats and mice
Small pets (such as rabbits, guinea pigs, rats and mice) should have:
- Protection against heat and cold
- An appropriate diet and fresh water
- Protection from pain and suffering
- Freedom of movement.
Enclosures (such as cages for mice and rats, hutches for rabbits or guinea pigs) should be:
- Well shaded
- Safe and secure (which prevents them from escaping as well as protection from bad weather and predators)
- Clean and ventilated, otherwise they may attract insects and produce odour.
Please note - rabbits, guinea pigs, rats and mice are sensitive to hot temperatures (above 30°C) and can easily suffer from heat stress. On hot Perth days it may be necessary to provide a frozen ice brick or drink bottle in the hutch or cage to keep your pets cool.