The City of Bayswater wholeheartedly supports the 'Uluru Statement from the Heart', adopted in 2017. We pledged this support officially in 2018, when it was endorsed by Council.
You can read the full statement here: Uluru Statement from the Heart.
To show our full commitment to the statement we are working to achieve the following steps:
- Becoming a signatory to the ACOSS statement of support for the Uluru Statement from the Heart
- Acknowledging Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island People as the Traditional Owners of this country and paying respect to their ongoing spiritual and cultural connections with it
- Recognising the need for constitutional change that goes beyond the symbolic and gives breath to the benefits that a treaty offers all Australians
- Thanking those who gathered at the 2017 National Constitutional Convention in Uluru for their persistence and patience, under the guidance of the co-chairs of the Referendum Council, Ms Pat Anderson AO and Mr Mark Leibler AC
- Lodging a submission to the Joint Select Committee on Constitutional Recognition Relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- Showing outward support by placing a framed copy of the Uluru Statement from the Heart within the City's public honorary cabinets at the entrance of the Council Chambers
- Writing a letter of support from Council to request the Western Australian Local Government Association (WALGA), who advocate on behalf of 138 local governments, to embrace the Uluru Statement from the Heart
- Writing a letter of support from Council to the Prime Minister and Federal Leader of the Opposition showing our support for the Uluru Statement from the Heart.
A Voice in the Wilderness
Learn more about the Uluru Statement from the Heart and issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities across Australia by downloading 'A Voice in the Wilderness: Listening to the Statement from the Heart'.
This educational resource is a study guide to help understand life from the perspective of Australia's first peoples.
Download a voice in the wilderness
To learn more about the Uluru Statement from the Heart and the role of the Referendum Council, visit the Referendum Council website.
If you would like more information about the City’s response to the Uluru Statement from the Heart, please contact our Community Development team on (08) 9272 0658.