The City of Bayswater provides two buses for the community to hire for use within the metropolitan area. The aim is to assist in community development by building the capacity, resourcefulness and sustainability of local community groups. All vehicles are operated by City of Bayswater volunteer bus drivers.
Eligibility criteria for hiring a community bus:
- Not-for-profit community groups, clubs and schools that have their primary base of operation located within the City of Bayswater
- Other City of Bayswater community organisations, including for-profit groups (fees payable).
Toyota Coaster 1
Seating capacity: 16 (excluding driver)
Internal wheelchair hoist
Toyota Coaster 2
Seating capacity: 15 (excluding driver)
Internal wheelchair hoist
Please read the Conditions of Hire , and Frequently Asked Questions (below) before contacting the City to make a bus booking. Most of your queries will be answered here.
If applicable, the applicant will pay a $25 hire fee at the time of booking, as per Council's Schedule of Fees and Charges.
You are required to pay for fuel used during each journey, before returning the vehicle. Failure to refuel will incur charges, as set out in the City's Annual Schedule of Fees and Charges on the City's website.
If you have any further queries or wish to arrange a booking, please call the City's Community Development team on 9272 0974.
2. How many buses are available for hire and how many people do they seat?
Not-for-profit community groups, clubs and schools that have their primary base of operation located within the City of Bayswater. These groups will not be charged a hire fee.
Other City of Bayswater community organisations, including for-profit groups, can hire the bus at a low cost fee.
All user groups must read and comply with the Community Bus Hire Conditions of Hire. You can view this document on this page, and it is also attached to the Application Form.
3. Where can I get a Bus Hire Application Form?
The City has two community buses available for hire for use within the Perth metropolitan area. One bus seats 15 people, and one seats 16 people (excluding the driver).
4. How much does it cost for profit-making businesses to hire a bus?
Please call our Community Development team on (08) 9272 0974 and request a form to be posted or emailed to you.
5. How many times can our not-for-profit group hire the bus per year?
For-profit groups are required to pay a $25 hire fee per booking and must refuel the bus to a full tank before returning the bus.
6. Why is bus hire capped at eight times per year?
Bus hire is capped at eight times per year at no cost for not-for-profit groups, clubs and schools that have their primary base of operation located within the City of Bayswater. Further bookings are at the discretion of the Manager of Community Development and will have a $25 hire fee.
7. How much will we be charged if we want to book a bus more than eight times per year?
Bus hire has been capped at eight times per financial year (July to June the following year) to ensure equitable use for all groups. Bookings will re-set to eight at the start of the next financial year.
Not-for-profit groups and clubs are not required to pay a hire fee unless they hire a bus more than eight times per financial year.
8. Can we use our own driver to drive the bus for our trip?
Any bookings made by not-for-profit groups that exceed eight times per year will incur a $25 hire fee per booking, as per the City's Annual Schedule of Fees and Charges.
Please note: Bookings beyond the prescribed limit are at the discretion of the Manager of Community Development.
9. How do I find driver to drive for our group?
For insurance purposes, only City of Bayswater volunteer bus drivers are permitted to drive the vehicles.
10. Where do I go to re-fuel the bus?
Contact the City's Community Development Team on (08) 9272 0974 and our Support Officer will organise a driver for your journey.
11. Our group usually goes to Mandurah at Christmas. As this is outside the new 100km round trip boundary for travel, does it mean we can't go there anymore?
Your volunteer driver will re-fuel the bus with the appropriate fuel (at your cost) at a service station on the return journey to the City's Depot. Failure to re-fuel the bus will incur charges, as set out in the City's Annual Schedule of Fees and Charges.
12. Can I submit my bus bookings for the next six or 12 months at one time?
If you wish to submit an application for travel outside the 100km round trip boundary, please clearly state the purpose of your journey and your application will be considered by the Manager of Community Development.
13. Can our group hire the bus in the evening or on weekends?
Bus bookings can not be made more than three months in advance.
Yes, however this is subject to the availability of the City's bus drivers, who volunteer their time.