Noise is defined as unwanted sound. It can seriously disrupt people’s lives, causing loss of sleep, interference with activities and emotional stress.

Some of the common noise issues dealt with by the City include:

  • Air conditioners
  • Swimming pool filters
  • Stereo music
  • Construction noise
  • Power tools.

What is the Legislation around noise?

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 specify permitted noise levels, taking into consideration the time of day, duration, frequency and characteristics of the noise.

As a general rule, if noise can be easily heard at the boundary of a property, there is the potential it could impact upon neighbouring properties and exceed the allowed levels of noise.

Failure to comply with the regulations can lead to:

  • Notices and fines
  • Seizure of equipment
  • Prosecution.

Noise exemptions

The noise regulations provide exemptions for:

Construction Noise       

Undertaken between 7am and 7pm Monday to Saturday (excluding public holidays), provided the equipment used is the quietest reasonably available. Any noise from construction sites outside of these times must comply with the assigned levels specified under the noise regulations, unless an approval has been granted.

Specified Equipment (eg. power tools and lawn mowers)

If used up to two hours per day (in a reasonable manner) between 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday, and 9am to 7pm on Sundays and public holidays.

Musical Instruments     

If used up to one hour per day (in a reasonable manner) between 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday, and 9am to 7pm on Sundays and public holidays.

What can I do if I experience a noise disturbance?

Most complaints can be resolved by speaking directly with your neighbour. If this is unsuccessful, you can complete a Noise Complaint form. It is also advised to keep a log of the days and times of the noise disturbance.

The City has authorised officers to investigate your noise complaint to determine whether the noise emissions comply. This may involve an officer setting-up noise monitoring equipment within your home at a time when the noise is likely to be present.

Police officers are also empowered under these noise regulations to deal with noise complaints involving alarms, noisy parties and anti-social behaviour, and should be contacted for assistance when the noise happens.

Aircraft Noise

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 do not apply to aircraft noise (other than noise from model aircraft). Therefore, the City is unable to investigate aircraft noise.

Airservices is a government-owned corporation who manage air traffic operations for Perth Airport.

To lodge a noise complaint or make an enquiry about aircraft operations, please visit the Airservices website.

Alternatively, they can be contacted on 1800 802 584.

Further information

Further information can be obtained by phoning the City's Environmental Health Branch on 9272 0648 during office hours.

Related documents

Go to Top of the page