Cat Ownership and Registration

Responsible Cat Ownership

If you are interested in getting a pet cat, there are a few things you need to do before you welcome them into your home.

To keep your cat happy and healthy, you need to ensure you:

  • Provide them with a healthy diet
  • Contain your cat to your property, and keep cats indoors at night (studies show cats kept indoors at night enjoy longer and healthier lives)
  • Provide toys and scratching posts (most cats don't have access to scratching posts and can't express their natural behaviours).

If you have questions about cat health and safety, please ask your local cat shelter or vet. 

Protecting wildlife

There are many parks and wetland areas within the City which are refuges for wildlife including birds and reptiles. To help protect native wildlife, please ensure your cat is not straying from your property, particularly at night.

We also recommend your cat wears a collar with a registration tag and a bell. 


Registration, microchipping and sterilisation

All cats over the age of six months must be:

  • Microchipped (through a vet) 
  • Registered with the City
  • Sterilised (unless a registered breeder).

This is essential for the safety of your cat and our native species. Failure to comply may result in infrigements.


First time registration

Please complete the cat registration form and submit it with your payment and proof of microchipping to:

City of Bayswater
61 Broun Avenue
Morley WA 6062

Or via email to

If you are applying for a discounted fee for a sterilised cat or if you hold a pensioner concession card, a copy must be provided with your application form.

Upon registration you will be issued with a cat registration tag and a Certificate of Registration. The tag includes a registration number and expiry date. Please attach the registration tag to your cat’s collar.


Registration renewal

Cat registrations expire on October 31 each year. We will post you a renewal form in October if your cat is already registered with us. If you do not receive your form, please contact us at 9272 0622.

Registration fees

Cat registration options and costs are:

Registration optionsMicrochipped and sterilised 
1 year$20 
3 years$42.50 

If you have a pensioner concession card, you are entitled to a 50% reduction on fees. A copy must be presented at the time of registration.

If you register your cat after 1 June each year, half the normal fee is applicable for a one year registration only (first-time registrations only and the registration will expire on 31 October. Effective 25 June 2021) 

There is no provision for the refund of cat registration fees.


A microchip is an implant placed under your cat's skin by a vet. It is used as a means of identification. Please provide proof that your cat is sterlised and microchipped when registering your pet.

If you are concerned a microchip will affect the health of your cat, please discuss this with your vet.


State law outlines that cats must be registered except if you a registered breeded. You can arrange sterilisation of your cat at a vet clinic. Sterilisation is important because it helps to reduce feral cats, who have serious impacts on our native wildlife, and unwanted cats living in shelter homes. 

We offer a subsidy for sterilising a registered cat. Please refer to the Sterilisation subsidy scheme information sheet for information.

You can apply for this subsidy before you sterilise your cat by completing and submitting the Cat sterilisation subsidy application form. 

These are available at participating vet clinics:

VetAddressContact number

Bedford - Dianella Vet Clinic

78 Walter Road, Bedford

9275 9283

Maylands Vet Clinic

260 Guildford Road, Maylands

9371 0005

Morley Vet Centre and Cat Clinic

20 Rudloc Road, Morley

9275 3000

Noranda/Beechboro Vet Clinic

1/36 Benara Road, Noranda

9275 3021

Cherry Court Vet Clinic

6 Cherry Court, Morley9378 1133

More information

Cat issues

Cats regularly entering your yard can be unwelcome by some residents and a source of tension between neighbours.

There a number of ways to deter cats from entering your property without harming them:

  • Turn a sprinkler on briefly, cats dont like getting wet
  • Try using an ultrasonic deterrent or a natural spray
  • Place chicken wire or gutter guard over garden beds
  • Install cat proof fencing
  • You can combine 1 teaspoon of a camphorated oil product ( vicks vapour rub, moth balls) with warm water, shake well and spray around the area that you are not wanting the cat to go.  The cat doesn't like it and wont go near the area. 

If you are having problems with a cat in your area, for example a cat that is causing harm or stress to your other pets, you can hire a free cat trap from the City. These traps are designed to ensure that the cat is not harmed so it can be safely taken in by Cat Haven.

The Cat Haven will try to locate the owner and reunite them with their pet. If the owner cannot be found, the cat will be placed up for adoption after the required holding period.  

If you have concerns regarding the welfare of a cat please contact RSPCA or visit their website. 

Lost or found cats

All found or impounded cats are transferred to the:

Cat Haven
23 Lemnos Street,
Shenton Park WA 6008

9442 3600

If you have lost your cat, please contact Rangers and Security on 9272 0972 or 1300 360 330.

We also suggest you contact the Cat Haven, surrounding Vets and use social media if available.

Owning more than three cats

In the City of Bayswater you are not allowed to have more than three cats per property, unless special permission is granted.

To apply please complete the Application to keep more than 3 cats form and mail to:

City of Bayswater
61 Broun Avenue,
Morley WA 6062

Or via email to

Alternatively,  please contact the Rangers and Security on 9272 0972 or 1300 360 333.

Breeding cats

If you would like to breed cats in the City of Bayswater you will need to apply for a Cat Breeding Permit. 

Cat Breeding Permit Application

All cats sold or given away must be microchipped and sterilised prior to any sale, if the cat cannot be sterilised due to age the seller must give the new owner a prepaid sterilisation voucher. 

For more information please refer to the Department of Local Government's Cat Breeder Fact Sheet.

Change of ownership or address

If the status of your pet changes, such as:

  • Change of ownership
  • Change of address.

Please let us know by compelting the Change of Cat Registration Details form or contacting the City of Bayswater Rangers and Security by:

Go to Top of the page