What is a Verge?
A verge is the area between the edge of the road and the boundary of a property.
Verges are Crown land (owned by the Government) and are under the management of the City.
Vital services and public infrastructure may be located on verges such as:
- Street lighting
- Underground utilities including:
- Phone cables.
residential verge maintenance
Residents within the City are responsible for maintaining the verge in front of their property. If the property is located on a corner, verge maintenance includes any side verges.
In the event that residents are either unable or not prepared to mow their verge, the City will perform a limited amount of verge maintenance. Please note:
- This service includes slashing long grass and weeds prior to the onset of the summer fire season
- This is a cursory service and not regular maintenance
- Verges that are improved with reticulation or landscaping are excluded from this service.
For more information, please view the City's Street Verges Policy.
Waterwise Verge Program (CLOSED)
Applications for the 2021 Waterwise Verge Program have now closed.
The City of Bayswater is offering a waterwise greening program to help residents create their own waterwise verge gardens. As part of this program, property owners can:
- Apply for a rebate of up to $250 to assist with the creation of a waterwise verge garden. More information and eligibility criteria can be found in the Program Information and our Application Form at the bottom of this page. (Closed)
- Purchase 10 local native plants at a subsidised price through our Plants to Residents Program. Purchase your plants here. (sold out)
Planting your verge with waterwise plants has many benefits; but most importantly, it helps to improve local water quality, reduces water use, helps to increase biodiversity and beautifies our neighbourhoods. So why not unleash your inner green thumb and get involved?
This initiative is proudly co-funded by Water Corporation’s ‘Waterwise Greening Scheme’ and forms part of our ambition for the City of Bayswater to be a leading waterwise and climate change resilient community.
Apply for a rebate
Verge Greening Guidelines