Get Ready to FOGO
The City moved to a Food Organics Garden Organics (FOGO) waste service as part of a state-wide program in March 2021. You are now able to place food organics and other compostable items in your FOGO kerbside bin (lime-green lid) along with garden waste. The waste in the FOGO bin will be turned into compost, instead of food waste being taken to landfill, which will reduce greenhouse gases and minimise future landfill costs.
Which businesses will get FOGO and when?
If your business has a kerbside collection with wheelie bins, you have the option to get a FOGO bin. Delivery of kitchen caddies commenced in March 2021, and you should have received information about FOGO with your kitchen caddy and compostable bin liners. There is information below on how to order kitchen caddies if you do not have one.
What HAS changeD?
Your bin sizes and bin collection day is the same, but the frequency of collections have changed:
the FOGO bin (lime-green lid) is collected every week, instead of fortnightly
the general waste bin (red lid) is collected fortnightly, instead of weekly
the recycling bin (yellow lid) is continued to be collected fortnightly.
The red and yellow lid bins are be collected on alternate fortnights.
What are my options?
Depending on the nature and setup of your business the new FOGO system may work well for you, however we understand some businesses would prefer to stay with a weekly general waste collection.
Your options are:
- Option 1 - Move to the new FOGO service, or
- Option 2 - Engage a commercial waste company to deal with your waste, and discontinue your service with the City.
More details of each option are provided below.
Option 1 - Move to the New FOGO Service
This is the default option, so if no action is taken you automatically moved to the FOGO bin service in March 2021, if you already had a service with the City. Your general waste bin (red lid) is collected fortnightly, and your FOGO bin (lime-green lid) is collected weekly. The recycling service remains fortnightly, with recycling bins collected on the alternate week from the general waste bins. Find your bin days here.
To assist your business in using the FOGO service, the City can provide some of these items (on request):
- A FOGO kerbside bin (240L capacity with lime-green lid)
- One kitchen caddy (7L capacity) and two rolls of compostable caddy liners per FOGO bin, for use in your business to collect food scraps - Learn more about using your kitchen caddy
There is no additional cost to access these items, if you are already paying for a City of Bayswater commercial rubbish service.
- You could also order an additional general waste bin from the City, which would incur an annual service fee. This would be collected fortnightly along with your current general waste bin(s).
Moving to the FOGO service - I want to...