The Local Housing Strategy establishes a framework to guide and provide for the City of Bayswater’s current and future housing needs.
The City of Bayswater Local Housing Strategy was developed in consultation with the community to address changing residential preferences and patterns within the City of Bayswater. At its Ordinary Meeting on 22 May 2012, Council adopted the Local Housing Strategy, a copy of which can be found in the related documents at the bottom of this page.
Key objectives of the local housing strategy
The key objectives of the strategy are to:
- Provide a strategic direction for Council, developers and the community in relation to residential densities and housing issues in the City
- Facilitate a mix of housing choices to accommodate all ages and diverse lifestyles
- Identify locations that have the capacity to accommodate population growth and change.
Focus areas for change
‘Focus Areas for Change’ are areas suitable for increased residential development, with minimal change to the planning framework outside of these areas. The focus areas for change:
- The Morley City Centre
- The Maylands Activity Centre
- The Bayswater Town Centre
- The Nornada District Centre
- Urban Corridors along - Guildford Road, Walter Road West and Beaufort Street
- Other small precincts throughout the City.
These areas align with the State Governments strategic vision for where growth should occur in the metropolitan region.
Why do we need a Local Housing Strategy?
The strategy is important because:
- Perth’s population is expected to more than double to 3.5million people by 2050 and around 650,000 new homes will be required to accommodate Perth’s population growth
- Housing affordability is a growing problem across the Perth Metropolitan Area
- Our community is changing, with less people living in each house and an ageing population
- There is a need for a mix of housing choices to suit the City’s changing population.
For further information please contact Strategic Planning either by Phone 9272 0649 or via email to email@example.com.