Citizenship Ceremonies

The City holds citizenship ceremonies throughout the year for residents approved by the Department of Home Affairs to become Australian citizens.

If you've applied to become an Australian citizen,and your application is approved, you will be invited to a citizenship ceremony within 12 months of your approval date.

All queries regarding ceremony scheduling, including early or urgent ceremony allocation must be taken up with the Department of Immigration and Home Affairs by emailing or calling 131 880.

If you have further queries,  please see the FAQs below.

To RSVP to a ceremony invitation, contact the City's Events team on (08) 9272 0674 or email


Frequently asked questions

How long does it take to get Australian citizenship after permanent residency?

There are several factors that may affect the time it takes to obtain Australian citizenship once you have become a permanent resident of Australia. Some of these factors include:

  • Processing times for relevant paperwork
  • Incorrect or incomplete information being submitted
  • Number of eligible persons waiting to be allocated a citizenship date.

For more information, contact the Department of Home Affairs on 131 881 or visit

Once I am granted citizenship, do I need to contact the City of Bayswater to apply to attend a citizenship ceremony?

No, you do not need to contact the City. The City will send an invitation to you once you have been allocated a ceremony date.

How many times a year does the City of Bayswater hold citizenship ceremonies?

It depends on how many community members are approved to become citizens in any particular year. If there are more applicants, the number of ceremonies will increase.

How long will I have to wait to attend a ceremony?

Depending on how many applicants are on the waiting list, the waiting time can be up to 12 months.

What if I cannot attend on the date given to me by the City of Bayswater?

Please contact the City's Events team on (08) 9272 0674 or email

I need to attend a ceremony urgently. What should I do?

You will need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to discuss your options.

Do I need to bring any paperwork to the ceremony?

Yes. Please bring photographic identification and your ceremony invitation with you on the day.

How long before the ceremony should I arrive at the venue?

Please arrive at the venue at least 30 minutes before the scheduled ceremony time.

How long does a ceremony take?

Ceremonies can take between 30 and 60 minutes.

Does my child have to take the pledge if they were also granted residency?

Children under the age of 16 are not required to take the pledge at the ceremony, however, they will receive a certificate on the day.

Are ceremonies held inside or outside?

All ceremonies are held inside the City's Civic Centre at 61 Broun Avenue, Morley.

What should I wear to the ceremony?

The dress code is formal or smart casual.

How many people will be there?

Approximately 100 people will be there, including guests and VIPs.

Does the City have wheelchair access?

Yes. There is a wheelchair accessible lift to the ground floor, where the ceremony is held. There are also amenities on this level.

Can I bring my partner/children/parents/siblings/friends to the ceremony to watch me take my pledge? If so, how many?

One guest per family is permitted to attend.

Will I/my family/my friends be allowed to take photographs at the ceremony?

Yes, you are permitted to take photographs at the ceremony.

Will there be officials at the ceremony?

The Mayor or Deputy Mayor of the City of Bayswater will be in attendance. Additionally, Elected Members and local politicians often attend our citizenship ceremonies.

Will I receive a certificate at the ceremony?

After you have made the pledge, you will receive your citizenship certificate.

What if the information on my certificate is incorrect?

Please see a member of staff before you leave.

Will there be refreshments at the ceremony?

There are no refreshments served at the ceremony, however, new citizens will be given a small gift to take home.

How can I enrol to vote?

It is compulsory by law for all eligible Australian citizens to enrol and vote in federal elections, by-elections and referendums.

You can visit the Australian Electoral Commission website here

Information will also be provided in your citizenship certificate pack and occasionally, an AEC representative will attend a Ceremony. 

I moved house or changed my email address, how do I update my details?

You can update your details on your ImmiAccount. By updating your details through your ImmiAccount, the changes will be immediate.

Alternatively, download the Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details on the Department of Home Affairs website. Then email the form to

Related information

Go to Top of the page