About Rates

Discover how your rates contribute to the community, how they are calculated and other information about your rates.

What are rates?

Local government rates are an annual payment made by residents living or owning property within the council area.

Your rates are a simple way of contributing to vital community services and infrastructure including:

  • Recreation facilities including three public libraries
  • Maintenance of over 100 playgrounds and over 30 reserves
  • The City's 24/7 security patrol service
  • Infrastructure maintenance of roads, footpaths and street lighting
  • Various arts and events programs.

For a comprehensive breakdown of how your rates are used to deliver these products and services, view our brochure below.

2024-25 Rates brochure

How are rates calculated?

Objects and reasons for the proposed rate and minimum payment

The general rate detailed for the 2024/25 financial year has been determined by Council on the basis of raising sufficient revenue to deliver operational needs albeit the City is expecting an operating deficit in Total Comprehensive Income.

The minimum rates have been determined by Council on the basis that all ratepayers must make a reasonable contribution to the cost of local government services/facilities.

The amount you pay in rates each year is assessed by multiplying your property’s Gross Rental Value (GRV) by the rate in the dollar set by the City of Bayswater.

(Your rates = GRV x rate in dollar).

The GRV is the fair rental value of the property as determined by Landgate Valuation Services (Valuer General’s Office). 

Each year the City also sets a minimum charge based on the basic services provided by Council. If the calculation of the GRV by the rate in the dollar results in an amount less than the minimum charge, then the minimum charge will be raised.

The below rate in the dollar and minimum payments were agreed by the City for 2024/25.

GRV x Rate in Dollar Table

Rating CategoryRate in the dollarMinimum Payment


Residential Vacant

Commercial / Industrial

Commercial / Industrial Vacant










For more information regarding Differential Rates please view the Flyer here: Differential Rates Flyer.

Find answers to FAQ regarding the 2023 Metropolitan Gross Rental Values.

If you have questions about your GRV, visit the Landgate website or call (08) 9273 7373.

Appealing Your Rates

A property owner may lodge an objection against the valuation of a property if it can be demonstrated that the assessment is incorrect at (or around) the date of valuation. Such an objection should be lodged in writing within 60 days of the issue date of this notice, to the Valuer General, PO Box 222, Midland WA 6936. All enquiries to: customerservice@landgate.wa.gov.au or call (08) 9273 7373 or visit www.landgate.wa.gov.au

Please note, the City of Bayswater is not authorised to amend property valuations except on the advice of the Valuer General's Office.


As per Section 6.26 of the Local Government Act 1995, some organisations may be eligible to apply for a rates exemption, including: 

  • Charitable organisations
  • Religious bodies
  • Government agencies.

If you would like to apply, please complete a rates exemption form and attach all additional documents. 

A formal written response will be issued once your application has been processed. If you want to find out more information or have any questions, please contact our Rating Services team on (08) 9272 0922 or email mail@bayswater.wa.gov.au

Rates must be paid as assessed until such time as a decision has been reached. All balances outstanding will accrue penalty interest.

Other Charges

Annual rubbish bin charges

The annual rubbish bin charges cover the cost of rubbish bin collections (weekly general waste and fortnightly green waste/recycling) and include the use of three bulk bins or tip passes per year. 

Annual rubbish bin charges for Domestic and Commercial/Industrial services are $411.00.

Additional rubbish bin services are available if required. Please contact the City's Waste Management team on (08) 9272 0605.

Emergency Services Levy (ESL)

The ESL levy is charged to all property owners in Western Australia to fund fire and emergency services. The City is required to collect this levy for the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES). For more information, visit the DFES website or view the ESL brochure.

Interest on overdue balances

The City of Bayswater has resolved for the 2024/25 year to charge a daily interest rate of 7% per annum, calculated daily on outstanding rates and charges. 

Interim rates

Interim rate notices are issued throughout the year when there are changes to your property that affect its valuation. The City of Bayswater receives notification of the new valuation from Landgate. Using this information an interim rates notice will be issued to you. 

Your property valuation could be amended if: 

  • There are new buildings
  • There are renovations
  • A building has been demolished 
  • There are new swimming pools or outdoor spas 
  • There is a subdivision or amalgamation of lots 
  • There is an addition or reduction in rubbish bin collections.

Swimming pool/outdoor spa inspection fee

The City is required by State Government legislation to conduct inspections of all private swimming pools and outdoor spas every four years. The inspection fee for this service is $35.00 per annum.


Pensioners are eligible for a 50% rebate, up to a maximum of $750. 

Seniors are eligible for a 25% rebate, up to a maximum of $100.

Pensioners may also be able to defer rates and Emergency Services Levy charges until the property is sold.

To be eligible for concessions under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992, an applicant must:

  • Be the owner and reside in the property on 1 July of the rating year
    • If a Pensioner, either:
      1. receive a pension and hold a Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card; or
      2. hold both a Seniors Card issued by the WA Seniors Centre and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
    • If a Senior, hold a Seniors Card issued by the WA Seniors Centre.

Rebate application

If you would like to apply for a rebate, please submit an application with Water Corporation at the Water Corporation website or call 13 13 85. If your application is approved, Water Corporation will notify the City of Bayswater's Rating Services team. 

If you are eligible, the pensioner or senior concession will apply from the date your application is received by Water Corporation.

Additional rebate information

Pensioner and senior concession rebates apply to rates and the Emergency Services Levy. Rubbish charges and other levies must be paid in full by the due date. 

Some changes which may affect your claim to rebates are: 

  • Your pension type has changed 
  • You have sold the property 
  • You have moved 
  • Your Pensioner/Senior/ State Concession/Seniors Health Card has been cancelled
  • The Certificate of Title for your property has been amended.

Please note, you are required to notify the City if you cease to be entitled to a pensioner or senior rebate. 

Contact Us

If you have any questions, please contact our Rating Services team on (08) 9272 0922, or email mail@bayswater.wa.gov.au

Go to Top of the page