Safe Food

Safe food preparation Safe food preparation

Whether prepared at home or in a restaurant, it is important the food we eat is safe. An estimated 5.4 million cases of food poisoning occur each year in Australia. Food poisoning can occur when food or drink:

  • Isn’t prepared safely, including when meat is undercooked or lack of hand washing
  • Is touched by someone who has gastroenteritis (gastro)
  • Comes into contact with pets, flies or other pests
  • Comes in contact with raw meat, or ready to eat foods come in contact with each other
  • Is stored at unsafe temperatures that allows bacteria to grow
  • Is contaminated with animal manure.

Our Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) ensure food prepared and sold within the City is of a safe standard. EHOs conduct regular, unannounced inspections of food businesses within the community and test food samples.

Food legislation in Western Australia

The Food Act 2008, which came into effect on 23 October 2009, is the principal food legislation within Western Australia. 

This legislation and the accompanying Food Regulations 2009 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code allow for a consistent approach to food regulation within Australia.

The penalties under this legislation can be significant and EHOs have the ability to issue infringements where non-compliance is evident.

How to fitout a food business

All food businesses operating within the City must ensure their premises are constructed in accordance with the Guidelines for Food Businesses.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the information contained within these guidelines, please contact the City's Health department on 9272 0648 between 8.30am & 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Notification and Registration of a food business

It is mandatory for all food businesses to notify and, if required, register with the City using the prescribed Notification/ Registration form. This form must also be completed if any changes are made to food handling activities or the ownership of a currently registered food business.

This form must be completed and returned to the City of Bayswater by:

Please note that if you have:

  • Sold your food business;
  • Ceased trading at a registered premise; or
  • Changed your (proprietor) postal or contact details

You may advise the City via email rather than completing the above-mentioned Notification/ Registration form.

Temporary food business approvals

Temporary food businesses (eg. sausage sizzles, cake stalls) are required to apply for approval 21 days before the event.

A completed Application for Approval of a Temporary food business form can be returned to the City by:

Free Food Handler Training

In order to operate a food business, all staff who undertake or supervise food-handling activities must have the necessary skills and knowledge of food safety and hygiene procedures.

The skills and knowledge of food-handlers is assessed during premise inspections. During an inspection, an EHO may require a food-handler to demonstrate their skills or knowledge. This is to help ensure the food produced is safe for consumption by the public.

The City offers food businesses free online food training using the new FoodSafe Online. This training usually costs $35, however it is available free of charge to City of Bayswater food businesses via a unique discount voucher code.

The discount voucher code will be forwarded to all food businesses shortly with the annual registration invoice. Alternatively food businesses can contact the City’s Environmental Health Branch on 9272 0648 to obtain this discount voucher code.

Symptoms of food poisoning

Food poisoning results from the consumption of food that has been contaminated by micro-organisms, toxins or chemicals.  In most cases, this is caused by poor food-handling and hygiene practices.

Some of the most common symptoms of food poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Headaches/nausea
  • Diarrhoea
  • Fever.

In some cases, these symptoms may not appear for several hours, days or weeks.

If you suspect that food is substandard, it is best to not consume it and risk becoming sick.

What to do if you suspect that you have food poisoning

If you experience symptoms of food posioning, it is important to seek medical attention.

To enable the City’s Environmental Health Officers to investigate a food poisoning incident, you will need to ensure:

  • A faecal sample is submitted to a doctor (to identify the cause of the food poisoning)
  • Any remaining suspect food has been immediately covered and refrigerated (at 5°C or below) or frozen, until collected by Environmental Health staff for analysis
  • Any food packages, receipts or other evidence that identifies the product and where it was purchased from have been retained.

The following information is recorded:

  • When was the suspect food purchased?
  • How was the food stored or handled prior to consumption?
  • When was it consumed?
  • What were the symptoms and when did they first appear?
  • Who else consumed the food and did they experience the same symptoms?

Contact us

For further information please contact the City's Health department by:

Go to Top of the page