Get Ready to FOGO
Starting in March 2021 the City is moving to a Food Organics Garden Organics (FOGO) waste service as part of a statewide program. When the service starts, residents will be able to place food organics and other compostable items in their FOGO kerbside bin (lime-green lid) along with garden waste. The waste in the FOGO bin will be turned into compost, instead of being taken to landfill, which will reduce greenhouse gases and minimise future landfill costs.
When will I get the FOGO service?
If you already have a kerbside collection with wheelie bins, you will move to FOGO in Phase 1 - from March 2021. This includes single houses and multi-unit developments - property development projects where more than one dwelling is built on a single lot, such as groups of townhouses, apartments, units or villas.
If you live in a multi-unit development with a shared onsite bulk bin collection, your FOGO service will start later, in Phase 2 (date to be confirmed).
The City will contact strata managers and caretakers of multi-unit developments to assess their waste management requirements and work with them on a case-by-case basis to provide a FOGO service. Though the City is aware that many residents are eagerly looking forward to the FOGO service, it is necessary to roll it out in two phases, to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible.
What will change?
When the FOGO services starts, your bin sizes and bin collection day will stay the same, but the frequency of collections will change:
- the FOGO bin (lime-green lid) will be collected every week, instead of fortnightly
- the general waste bin (red lid) will be collected fortnightly, instead of weekly
- the recycling bin (yellow lid) will continue to be collected fortnightly.
The red and yellow lid bins will be collected on alternate fortnights:
Ordering additional FOGO bins
If you think the multi-unit development you live in does not have enough FOGO kerbside bins to cater for the move to FOGO, you can contact the City's Waste Management team to request more, on 9272 0605 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For each case the City will determine how many additional bins are required, using a calculator tool (based on volumes recommended by the state government) and will assess available storage and verge space for the bins. After that, we will update you about how many bins you will receive. We will also contact your strata company - if you have one, and if we have their details - to let them know. This may take some time, as City of Bayswater has many multi-unit developments, but we will advise you of the outcome as soon as possible.
Repair/replacement of existing bins
If you currently have a green waste bin with an older-style brown lid, you can order a replacement lid. Or if your bin has an insert and vent holes we will replace it with a new lime-green lid FOGO bin. There is no fee for these.
To place your order, please contact the City's Waste Management team on 9272 0605 or email@example.com
Find out more
- View the FOGO Frequently Asked Questions
- Speak to someone about FOGO - To ask questions or provide feedback about the new FOGO service, please contact the City's Waste Education Officers on 9272 0964 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Register here to attend a drop-in session or presentation. These will cover: how the FOGO system will help the environment, how the move to FOGO will work, how to use your kitchen caddy, what goes in your FOGO bin and other kerbside bins, and will provide opportunities for your questions to be answered.