Curator EOI now open for 2023 Art Awards and Exhibition
Expressions of interest are now open for the City's Community Art Awards and Exhibition.
The City is looking for a suitably qualified curator to provide curatorial services for the 2023 event.
How to apply
Review the scope of responsibilities and requirements for the role outlined in the document below.
Submit your EOI demonstrating your experience and qualifications by 4pm, Monday 3 July.
Please submit your EOI to firstname.lastname@example.org
Curator EOI 2023 - Expression of Interest
For more information, contact the Events Team on 9272 0694.
The City presented the Community Art Awards on Friday 4 November, which was followed by a two-week exhibition of selected works at The RISE from 5-19 November.
The 2022 Community Art Awards are proudly supported by Bendigo Bank Bayswater, JILA Water Solutions, Seasonal Brewing Co, and Art and Craft World Morley.
Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry into this year's awards.
2022 City of Bayswater 2022 Art Awards Catalogue
For any queries, please contact the City's Events team on (08) 9272 0622.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enter? Is there a fee to enter?
To enter, you will need to complete an online entry form with an image of your art. Entries close at 4pm, Friday 6 October 2023. The entry fee is payable once artists have been accepted into the exhibition.
What type of art can I submit?
An entry fee of $30 per artist is applicable, or $13 for artists under the age of 18 (age as at 4 November 2023).
How many pieces of art can I submit?
It's up to you! We have previously accepted painting in oils, watercolours and acrylics, sculpture, drawing, mixed media, collages, resin art, photography, digital media, and printmaking, to name a few.
We accept all types of art as long as it is within the specifications listed in the Conditions of Entry.
When can I deliver my artwork for the exhibition?
There is a limit of one piece of artwork per person. If your artwork comprises more than one element or piece, such as a sculpture that requires a stand (two pieces), this is acceptable and will count as one piece. No diptych or triptych works will be accepted.
Is there a prize?
Entries shall be delivered to The RISE, 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands on Monday 30 October between 4pm and 7pm. Entries will not be accepted at any other time. All entries are to be picked up on Sunday 18 November between 1pm and 5pm or Monday 19 November between 9am and 11am.
Where is the exhibition held and how long does it go for?
Award categories and prize money for the 2022 Art Awards and Exhibition are listed below:
- City of Bayswater Open Award (Acquisitive): $5,000
- Local Whadjuk Award (Acquisitive): $5,000
- Highly Commended (2 x awards): $750
- Bendigo Bank Bayswater People’s Choice Award: $750
- City of Bayswater Resident Award: $500
- Sculpture Award: $750
- Photography Award: $500
- Ellis House Member Award: $500
- High School Award (years 7-12): Art supply prize pack (supplied by Art & Craft World Morley) and framing voucher
- Primary School Award (years 1-6): Art supply prize pack (supplied by Art & Craft World Morley)
Can I sell my artwork?
The exhibition is held at The RISE community centre at 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands, from 10am to 4pm daily. The exhibition will run from Sunday 5 November to Saturday 18 November 2023.
All entries must be for sale. As the City of Bayswater Open Award and Local Whadjuk Award are acquisitive prizes, the winning artworks will become part of the City of Bayswater Art Collection. All other artworks must be available for sale to the general public.
Please note: if you do not wish to sell your artwork, you will not be eligible to enter the Art Awards and Exhibition.
Winners of the 2022 City of Bayswater Community Art Awards were announced at an exhibition opening at The RISE on Friday 4 November 2022.
|Category||Winner||Title of artwork|
City of Bayswater Open Award $5,000 (Acquisitive)
One Perfect Day
|Local Whadjuk Award $5,000 (Acquisitive)||Crystal Quartermaine||Seven Sisters|
|Highly Commended||Merribeth Ainsworth||Take it Easy|
|Best Sculpture Award||Don Robinson||MANDLA|
|Best City of Bayswater Resident Award||Catherine Gordon||Macrocarpa|
|Best Ellis House Member Award||Janice Oliver||Plastered in the Laneway|
|Best Photography||Bronwyn Aitken||The Hush of a Farmer's Daughter|
|Primary School Award (Years 1 -6)||Daisy Lewis||Bilby in the Moonlight|
|High School Entry (Years 7 -12)||Nuala Walton|
|The winner of the Bendigo Bank Bayswater People's Choice Award will be announced within one week of the exhibition closing date. |
Terms and Conditions
Entry details Categories and prizesDelivery and pick up details
Entry forms and fees must be received by 4pm Friday, 7 October 2022. Late entries will not be accepted. Details on the entry forms will not be altered once received.
Maximum of one entry per person.
An entry fee of $30.00 per artist is applicable, or $13.00 for artists under the age of 18 (age as of 4 November 2022)
Entries will be accepted online at bayswater.wa.gov.au by submission of the completed entry form.
A high resolution image of the completed artwork, between 1MB - 5MB is required with your submission. Please remember to label your image with your name and title of the artwork as you would like it to appear and upload the correct way up.
The curator will make a selection of works for the exhibition. If your work is not selected, you will be advised within 10 days of the entry closing date and your entry fee refunded.
- There will be no correspondence entered into regarding rejection of entry. The curator’s decision is final.
- Individual feedback cannot be provided.
- Works will be assessed by quality, saleability, diversity of styles, diversity across categories.
- The City of Bayswater reserves the right to refuse any entries that are deemed unsuitable for public exhibition.
All entries will be judged. The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
Sales and GST
Entrants are to cover all delivery costs. No payment whatsoever will be made by the City of Bayswater for freight or other delivery charges incurred in the delivery or return of exhibits.
All artworks are to be clearly labelled on the back of the artwork indicating artist name, title, medium, dimensions (in cm) and price.
Entries shall be delivered to The RISE, 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands, on Tuesday 1 November between 3pm and 8pm. Entries will not be accepted at any other time.
Payments are not refundable if the Artist does not deliver the Artwork during the specified time.
All entries are to be picked up on Sunday 20 November between 1–5pm or Monday 21 November between 9–11am. Identification will be required to pick up all entries. Work not picked up by this time will be acquired and disposed of at the discretion of the City of Bayswater.
If you are unable to attend, please call the Events Team to make alternative arrangements prior to this date. Written consent will be sought if the Artist requires someone else to pick up the artwork on their behalf.
All artists whom sell artwork over the exhibition will be contacted directly prior to the pick-up date specified.
All sale prices must include a 15% commission fee (no commission on sales for youth entries)
All entries must be for sale and entrants must indicate ABN and GST details on the entry form where appropriate.
Artists who do not have an ABN must sign the statement of the entry form or 48.5% PAYG tax will be deducted from any payment to be made.
- All works entered must be less than 12 months old from closing date, the original work of the artist and NOT previously exhibited.
- All artworks must be a single item. (No diptych, triptych works).
- Entries shall be presented to exhibition standard - they MUST be dry.
- All works are to have a suitable hanging assembly. D-latches and cord are the preferred method.
- 2D Works must not exceed 1.3m x 1.3m in any direction including frame. All 2D works must not weigh more than 10kg.
- 3D artwork must be a maximum of 20kg and must not exceed 40cm deep (front to back), 60cm high (top to bottom) and 1m wide (left to right).
- The City of Bayswater, whilst talking good care, will not take responsibility for the damage or loss of artworks. It is the responsibility of the artist to provide insurance for their works.
- Incorrect entries or failure to comply with condition of entry will result in disqualification.
- Entrants agree the organisers reserve the right to reproduce entries in print, film or digital format for promotion, education and documentation purposes in association with the City of Bayswater.
- The Artist agrees the City of Bayswater reserves the right to reproduce work (in part or whole) in print, film or digital format for promotion, education and documentation in association with the exhibition.
- Failure to meet any of these conditions will exclude you from exhibiting.
- To be entered into the catalogue, entrants must provide an electronic photograph before the closing date.
- Entrants cannot be awarded the City of Bayswater Open Award (acquisitive) prize in two consecutive years however, can be placed in any other category.
Open Award Winner: 'One Perfect Day' by Jude Willis
Local Whadjuk Winner: ' Seven Sisters' by Crystal Quartermaine
Highly Commended - 'Evolution' by Sarah Dlugosz
Highly Commended - 'Take It Easy' by Merribeth Ainsworth
Best City of Bayswater Resident Award - 'Macrocarpa' by Catherine Gordon
City of Bayswater Sculpture Award - 'Mandla' by Don Robinson
Photography Award - 'The Hush of a Farmers Daughter' by Bronwyn Aitken
Ellis House Member Award - 'Plastered in the Laneway' by Janice Oliver
High School Award - 'True Colour' by Nuala Walton
Primary School Award - 'Bilby in the Moonlight' by Daisy Lewis
Community Bank Bayswater People's Choice Award - 'Chinese Peony' by Luvieur