Community Art Awards
We received a record number of submissions in 2020, in a variety of mediums, including oil, watercolour, acrylic, resin, printmaking, photography, and sculpture.
Winners of the 2020 Community Art Awards
City of Bayswater Open Award $5,000 (Acquisitive)
Kirralea Birch: Self-Portrait Pt Peron RSL Recreation Camp
Damien Goerke: The Deep End
Best City of Bayswater Resident Award
Denise Pepper: Effacing Surface
City of Bayswater Sculpture Award
Greg Molloy: Hopper
Andrea Carter: Schools In
Ellis House Member Award
Behzad Alipour: Sir Alvin and Mister Chipmunk
High School Award
Surya Hanaf: Blind
Primary School Award
Adelaide Muller: Beautiful Country
Community Bank Bayswater People's Choice Award
Jason Deans: Three Hearts
Head over to our Facebook page to see pictures from the exhibition presentation evening.
For queries, please contact the City's Events team on (08) 9272 0622.
Winner: 'Self-Portrait Pt Peron RSL Recreation Camp' by Kirralea Birch
Highly Commended - 'The Deep End' by Damien Goerke
Best City of Bayswater Resident Award - 'Effacing Surface' by Denise Pepper
City of Bayswater Sculpture Award - 'Hopper' by Greg Molloy
Photography Award - 'Schools In' by Andrea Carter
Ellis House Member Award - 'Sir Alvin and Mister Chipmunk' by Behzad Alipour
High School Award - 'Blind' by Surya Hanaf
Primary School Award - 'Beautiful Country' by Adelaide Muller
Community Bank Bayswater People's Choice Award - 'Three Hearts' by Jason Deans
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enter? Is there a fee to enter?
Once entries are being accepted to the 2021 Art Awards and Exhibition, the entry form will be published on this page. To enter, you will need to complete an online entry form, with an image of your art, by the closing date.
What type of art can I submit?
The 2021 Art Awards and Exhibition fees will be published closer to the event date.
How many pieces of art can I submit?
It's up to you! We have previously accepted painting in oils, watercolours and acrylics, sculpture, drawing, mixed media, collages, resin art, photography, digital media, and printmaking - to name a few.
We accept all types of art as long as it is within the specifications listed in the Conditions of Entry (which will be uploaded to this page on the day entries open ).
When can I deliver my artwork for the exhibition?
There is a limit of one piece of artwork per person. If your artwork is comprised of more than one element or piece, such as a sculpture that requires a stand (two pieces), this is acceptable and will count as one piece.
No diptych or triptych works will be accepted.
Is there a prize?
The date and time for delivery and collection of artworks will be published closer to the event.
Please note: artworks will be not be accepted prior to the published delivery date on this page, and must be collected at the end of the exhibition on the specified date and time.
Where is the exhibition held and how long does it go for?
Award categories and prize money for the 2021 Art Awards and Exhibition will be published here closer to the event date.
In 2020, there was over $10,000 worth of prize money awarded, in several categories:
- Open Award (Acquisitive): $5,000
- Highly Commended (2 x awards): $750
- Community Bank Bayswater People’s Choice Award: $500
- Best City of Bayswater Resident Award: $500
- Best Sculpture Award: $500
- Best Photography Award: $500
- Best Ellis House Member Award: $500
- Best High School Entry (years 7-12): $500
- Best Primary School Entry (Years 1-6): Art supply prize pack (supplied by Art & Craft World Morley)
Can I sell my artwork?
The exhibition is held at The RISE community centre at 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands, and runs for two weeks.
All entries must be for sale, as the City of Bayswater Open Award is an acquisitive prize and the winner’s artwork will become part of the City of Bayswater art collection.
All other artworks must be available for sale to the general public.
Please note: if you do not wish to sell your artwork, you will not be eligible to enter the Art Awards and Exhibition.
Winners of the 2020 City of Bayswater Community Art Awards were announced at an exhibition opening at The RISE on Saturday 31 October 2020. The City received a record 425 entries in 2020, with 200 artworks chosen to be exhibited.
|Category||Winner||Title of artwork|
City of Bayswater Open Award $5000 (Acquisitive)
Self-Portrait Pt Peron RSL Recreation Camp
|Damien Goerke||The Deep End|
|Best Sculpture Award||Greg Molloy||Hopper|
|Best City of Bayswater Resident Award||Denise Pepper||Effacing Surface|
|Best Ellis House Member Award||Behzad Alipour||Sir Alvin and Mister Chipmunk|
|Best Photography||Andrea Carter||Schools In|
|Art & Craft World Morley Primary School Award (Years 1 -6)||Adelaide Muller||Beautiful Country|
|Best High School Entry (Years 7 -12)||Surya Hanaf||Blind|
|Community Bank Bayswater People's Choice Award||Jason Deans||Three Hearts|
Terms and Conditions
Entry details Categories and prizes
- Entry forms and fees must be received by the closing date and time advertised. Late entries will not be accepted. Entry forms may be photocopied. Details on the entry forms will not be altered once received.
- Maximum of one entry per person.
- Entries will be accepted online at www.bayswater.wa.gov.au or by submission of the completed entry form
- All entries will be judged. The judges decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The curator will make a selection of works for the exhibition. If your work is not selected due to space constraints, you will be advised.
- Failure to comply with the conditions of entry will result in the entrant forfeiting the opportunity to enter into the 2021 Art Awards and Exhibition.
Delivery and pick up details
- All entries will be eligible to win the City of Bayswater Open Award (acquisitive) and the Peoples Choice Award.
- The City of Bayswater Open Award is an acquisitive prize and the winner’s artwork will become part of the City of Bayswater art collection.
- Residents of the City of Bayswater will automatically be entered in the Best Bayswater Resident Award.
- Winning entries will be announced on the opening night, with the exception of the People's Choice Award, which will be announced on the final day of the exhibition.
Sales and GST
- Entrants are to cover all delivery costs.
- No payment whatsoever will be made by the City of Bayswater for freight or other delivery charges incurred in the delivery or return of exhibits.
- All artworks are to be clearly labelled on the back of the artwork indicating artist name, title, medium, dimensions and price.
- Entries must be delivered to The RISE, 28 Eighth Avenue, Maylands.
- All entries are to be picked up on the allocated day and time, which will be announced closer to the date. Identification will be required to pick up all entries. If you are unable to attend, please call the Events Team to make alternative arrangements prior to this date. Written consent will be sought if the Artist requires someone else to pick up the artwork on their behalf. Work not picked up by this time will be acquired and disposed of at the discretion of the City of Bayswater.
- All artists who sell artwork during the exhibition will be contacted directly prior to the pick up date specified.
- Information on commission fees for the 2021 Art Awards and Exhibition will be published here closer to the event.
- All entries must be for sale and entrants must indicate ABN and GST details on the entry form where appropriate.
- Artists who do not have an ABN must sign the statement of the entry form or 48.5% PAYG tax will be deducted from any payment to be made..
- All works entered must be less than 12 months old from closing date, the original work of the artist and NOT previously exhibited.
- All artworks must be a single item. (No diptych, triptych works).
- Entries shall be presented to exhibition standard - they MUST be dry.
- All works are to have a suitable hanging assembly. D-latches and cord are the preferred method.
- 2D Works must not exceed 1.3m x 1.3m in any direction including frame. All 2D works must not weigh more than 10kg.
- 3D artwork must be a maximum of 20kg and must not exceed 40cm deep (front to back), 60cm high (top to bottom) and 1m wide (left to right).
- The City of Bayswater, whilst talking good care, will not take responsibility for the damage or loss of artworks. It is the responsibility of the artist to provide insurance for their works.
- Incorrect entries or failure to comply with condition of entry will result in disqualification.
- Entrants agree the organisers reserve the right to reproduce entries in print, film or digital format for promotion, education and documentation purposes in association with the City of Bayswater.
- The Artist agrees the City of Bayswater reserves the right to reproduce work (in part or whole) in print, film or digital format for promotion, education and documentation in association with the exhibition.
- Failure to meet any of these conditions will exclude you from exhibiting.
- To be entered into the catalogue, entrants must provide an electronic photograph before the closing date.
- Entrants cannot be awarded the City of Bayswater Open Award (acquisitive) prize in two consecutive years however, can be placed in any other category.