Get Ready to FOGO
Starting in March 2021 the City is moving to a Food Organics Garden Organics (FOGO) waste service as part of a statewide program. When the service starts, you will be able to place food organics and other compostable items in your FOGO kerbside bin (lime-green lid) along with garden waste. The waste in the FOGO bin will be turned into compost, instead of food waste being taken to landfill, which will reduce greenhouse gases and minimise future landfill costs.
Which businesses will get FOGO and when?
If your business has a kerbside collection with wheelie bins, you will move to FOGO. Delivery of kitchen caddies will commence from March, and you will receive information on your collection start date with your kitchen caddy and/or compostable bin liners. There is information below on how to order kitchen caddies.
What will change?
When the FOGO service starts, your bin sizes and bin collection day will stay the same, but the frequency of collections will change:
- the FOGO bin (lime-green lid) will be collected every week, instead of fortnightly
- the general waste bin (red lid) will be collected fortnightly, instead of weekly
- the recycling bin (yellow lid) will continue to be collected fortnightly.
The red and yellow lid bins will be collected on alternate fortnights:
What are my options?
Depending on the nature and setup of your business the new FOGO system may work well for you, however we understand some businesses would prefer to stay with a weekly general waste collection.
Your options are:
- Option 1 - Move to the new FOGO service in March, or
- Option 2 - Engage a commercial waste company to deal with your waste from March onwards, and discontinue your service with the City.
More details of each option are provided below.
Please note, there is no option to 'opt out' of moving to FOGO. The WA State Government requires all councils and residents in the Perth and Peel regions to adopt the FOGO waste system by 2025. The early adoption of FOGO in 2021 is part of the City’s ongoing commitment to reduce waste and greenhouse gases.
Option 1 - Move to the New FOGO Service
This is the default option, so if no action is taken you will automatically move to the FOGO bin service during March 2020. Your general waste bin (red lid) will start being emptied fortnightly, and your FOGO bin (lime-green lid) will start being collected weekly. The recycling service will remain fortnightly, with recycling bins collected on the alternate week from the general waste bins.
To assist your business in using the FOGO service, the City can provide some of these items (on request):
- A FOGO kerbside bin (240L capacity with lime-green lid) - If you don't currently have a FOGO kerbside bin, we recommend you order one from the City as soon as you can.
- One or more kitchen caddies (7L capacity) and two rolls of compostable caddy liners, for use in your business to collect food scraps - Learn more about using your kitchen caddy
- Larger (35L capacity) compostable caddy liners - ideal for existing larger bins in your business, for transferring waste to your FOGO kerbside bin.
There is no additional cost to access these items, if you are already paying for a City of Bayswater commercial kerbside waste collection service.
- You could also order an additional general waste bin from the City, which would incur an annual service fee. This would be collected fortnightly along with your current general waste bin(s).
Moving to the FOGO service - I want to...